Skip to main content

Dagur sex

 Day Six:

I would describe day six as flexible. Almost of the things Dr. Barineau had planned for us to see were either too cloudy to see, had roads that were too icy to drive on, or were now private property. So we had to get creative with the things we did see today, of course, Iceland doesn’t disappoint and we were still able to see some cool things.

The day started when I opened the curtains at the hotel and I noticed a puppy playing with what I thought to be either another dog or a cat. But we saw the mystery animal again right in front of the door to our hotel as we were leaving. It was an arctic fox the only mammal native to Iceland! The best part was, we got to watch him go over and play with the puppy from earlier and two other dogs, they are friends!

Our first stop was to visit some mud pots at Námafjall. Let me tell you, it was a FOUL-smelling environment! The ground underneath our feet was approximately 200 degrees Celsius. That heat mixed with the groundwater and clays results in pretty large mud pots where you can see thick mud boiling at the surface. With the steam comes the fumarole gasses and at this particular location a mix of sulfur dioxide, which when mixed I find these smells to make me quite nauseous. The wind didn’t help at all, the smell seemed like it followed us for miles!

Next, the weather started picking up and the visibility was extremely poor. We had driven up to see a massive tuff ring, but we couldn’t see very far in front of us. It was okay though because Dr. Barineau had another stop in mind! When we were about halfway there, we noticed a massive sign telling us that the road was closed. Dr. Barineau decided to go the long way around, spoiler alert the other road was closed as well.

You might have heard of the scablands in the northwestern part of the United States, but Iceland has its own scablands in the eastern part of the island. We got to see all of the channels caused by many Jökulhlaups over time.

Today was filled with fault zones and fault characteristics. We got to stand on a hanging wall looking into a footwall of what is interpreted as a massive Horst and graben. In the graben, you could see lava tubes and basalt columns that follow the opening of the lava tubes. Closer to the hotel in Husavik, we got to see the topographic breaks that indicate fault scarps. Meaning we were driving over the Husavik Fault Zone, which is loosely associated with the zone of extension from the Northern Volcanic Zone.

Along the way, we stopped at a gas station where Jacob and I got to have a mini snowball fight. I’d like to say, Jacob is a cheater since he was throwing snow boulders. At another gas station we stopped at, the owners had a dog walking around the store who was so sweet. He was a much older dog than all the other ones we’ve seen, but he was just as sweet. Jacob and I got little handmade keychains and Dr. Barineau got some handmade hats. For dinner, we stopped at a really nice restaurant right on the coast in Husavik. I ordered the lamb tacos, but they didn’t have any so I got chicken instead. Jacob and Dr. Barineau got goose burgers. Jacob rated it a 3/10 while Dr. Barineau says it was 6.5/10, so I don’t know who to trust!

Finally, we made it back to our hotel, and wow is this place nice. It’s the only hotel we’ve stayed in so far where you could see really strong American influence. I mean, Jacob’s room has American outlets! I will say Jacob and I learned a valuable lesson in hotel bars though! I just wanted a Shirley Temple and an order of onion rings and the next thing I know Jacob and I are being sat at a table that is preset with cloth napkins, bread plates, water glasses, and wine glasses. As soon as I sat down I just knew that we had to order a meal. Jacob and I got Shirley Temples and decided to share an order of fish and chips. The drinks weren’t great, I’m definitely used to much more sugar in mine, but the fish and chips were amazing! The only downside though is the meal was $23 and the drink was $8!

Day six was filled with lots of laughs, I’m super sad tomorrow is our last full day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dagur eitt

  Day One. Boy oh boy was this the longest 32 hours of my life, but man has it been the best! It started bright and early Friday morning (3:30 am to be exact) when Jacob and I started our trip by driving to his mom’s house so she could take us to the airport. After being dropped off at the airport, we met with Dr. Barineau right outside the JetBlue counter. I went through TSA for the first time, which I was worried about since people say it could take hours, but we weren’t in line long at all. It took us longer to get through all of those ropes! The Atlanta airport was uneventful except for the train shutting the door in Jacob’s face, forcing him to have to take the next one alone. It seems like I was the only one anxious about this, Jacob was a pro. Things really got crazy when we boarded. I just couldn’t shake the nerves, and the plane was so loud and scary. I did it though! I survived the flight to New York City with minimal tears right before take-off. Flying isn’t that bad, it is

Dagur sjö

  Day Seven: Today was a good day filled with lots of laughs and lots of snow. We started the day at the cutest bakery. Everything looked delicious, but I wasn’t hungry and I don’t think there was anything I could eat anyways. I loved the ambiance though. I’ve noticed that restaurants in Iceland will always give real dishes and cutlery, I haven’t seen one plastic fork or paper plate. As we were driving to our first stop, we got to see 3 perfect stream Terrence’s that of course we had to stop to take a picture of. Still, on the way to stop one, Dr. Barineau pointed out creep on a slope just outside of the second-largest city in Iceland. The trees had “pistol butts” where the tree was growing and then the ground beneath it slowly started moving to create a curved shape in the trunk of the tree. At our first outcrop of the day, we saw really well-welded tuff and got to see the contact where the source was either going through phases of pyroclastics and flows or we were seeing two differen